The post office in Leicester opened in 1935 and featured a large public space with grand ceiling. It closed in 2007 and has stood empty ever since.
History of the Bishop Street Post Office, Leicester
The former post office in Leicester is a large 5 story building that opened in 1935. Designed by architect Mr. Henry Tanner of Her Majesty’s Office of Works, the building was built by Messrs. Ives and Co, of Shipley using coarse-grained De Lank granite from Cornwall. In 1954 the provincial post office was the first to be equipped with a machine that calculated postage for sending parcels to anywhere in the world. The public office is a large space with a 40 foot curved counter running the entire length. The 17 foot high ceiling is ornately decorated.
The post office closed in 2007 and was purchased by the local council the following year. Plans to convert the building into a customer service centre were abandoned due to costs and the building has stood empty ever since.