The Primary School in Easington Colliery near Durham opened in 1913 and could accommodate 1,296 children. It closed in the late 1990's and has stood empty ever since.
History of the abandoned Easington Colliery Primary School
Easington Colliery Primary School was built in 1911-13 to accommodate the growing number of children in the booming mining town. The school consisted of two identical buildings separated by two yards with a dividing wall. One building was for boys and the other for girls. The lower floor of each building was for infants and the top floor for seniors.
The school could accommodate 1,296 children. Built by architects J Morson of Durham in the Baroque style it cost £21,000 to build. The buildings served their purpose until their closure in the late 1990s. Since then the site was acquired by a development company who applied for planning permission to build 39 homes. English Heritage opposed the plan and achieved listed building status, resulting in the buildings standing empty and falling into decay ever since.