A theatre in Doncaster that has been closed for over 20 years but remains in quite good condition.
Built on the site of a former Circus Hall, the Grand Theatre in Doncaster opened on 27th March 1899. The theatre stood in a prominent position facing Doncaster railway station and featured columns and arches on the frontage. Designed by by J P Briggs and built by local firm Arnold & Sons, it was one of the first theatres in the country to have electric lights. The remnants of older style gas lighting are also still visible in some areas to this day.
The Grand was in use as a theatre in 1958 and was then used as a bingo hall until its closure in 1995. The front of the theatre now awkwardly faces and is wedged up against the Frenchgate shopping centre, the distinctive features looking as impressive as ever despite being somewhat hidden away and now out of place.
The theatre is generally in good condition. The 2nd balcony level, the Gallery, retains original seating behind a rare example of bench seating towards the front. The circle level has all seating in tact, which had been replaced during the theatres time as bingo hall and still looks new. Some remains of old dressing rooms can be found in void areas and feature some cool old signage.