Severalls Asylum opened as a mental hospital in 1913. The simple but elegant buildings contain some amazing corridors and doors. The hospital closed in the early 1990’s.
Severalls Asylum in Colchester was built from 1910 and opened in 1913 as a psychiatric hospital. The buildings were designed by architect Frank Whitmore and cover an area of 300 acres. 2000 patients could be housed in the asylum which was based on the Echelon Plan. This arrangement allowed easy access between all wards, offices and hospital services, so staff or patients would not need to go outside to reach any building. 
The asylum was divided into two halves, one wing for male patients and other for females. Common services such as administration, laundry, kitchens and the hall were placed centrally between the two halves. The wings which extended outwards in a staggered pattern contained the wards on two floors. 
The buildings themselves have very few embellishments and are built in the Queen Anne style which is typical of the Edwardian period. The appearance was simple but at the time considered to be elegant.
As was the case at many mental hospitals especially during the 1950’s, psychiatrists were free to perform their own experiments on patients. Treatments often included ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) and frontal lobotomy.
Severalls hospital, along with many other psychiatric hospitals was closed in the early 1990’s. A few of the buildings on the site remained in use, albeit for different purposes until 1997. A couple of the satellite villas remain open today, along with a much newer building within the grounds. Work is due to commence to redevelop the site for residential use. It is expected that demolition work will take place once the adjacent new road is completed in 2014.