T. G. Green's produced the Cornishware range of kitchenware at their Pottery in Derbyshire. The striped design is still produced today but the original factory closed in 2007.
History of T.G. Green’s Pottery
T. G. Green’s was a pottery in Derbyshire, established in 1864 by Thomas Goodwin Green. He bought an existing pottery in Church Gresley near Swadlingcote after making a fortune in Australia.
T. G. Green’s produced a line known as Cornishware, a striped kitchenware brand. The line was introduced in 1924 as a way to keep the pottery busy during difficult years, and it proved to be a huge success for the next 30 years. The products were sold through high-street stores such as Woolworths, high end retails such as Harrods and were exported throughout the world.
The jars and pots in the Cornishware range would be produced with standard words such as Flour, Tea, Coffee, Sugar, Salt, etc. but stores selling the products could send a slip in to TG Green’s detailing any wording a customer requested. The pottery would then produce the pots and ship them back to the store for customer collection.
The signature colour of E. Blue (meaning Electric Blue) was the only colour available until 1959 when Sunlit Yellow was also introduced. New designers were brought in from the Royal Collage of Art during the 1960’s, most notable Judith Onions who introduced distinctive new shapes that are still in use today.
The company ceased production in 2007 when the factory was closed under the ownership of parent company The Tabletop Group. The range was revived in 2009 when T. G. Greens was bought by a trio of British investors.