Alder Hey Children's Hospital was founded in 1914. A new hospital was built in 2015 to replace the old buildings so we had a look around while they moved out.
The story of the Aldey Hey Hospital dates back to 1910, long before a dedicated hospital for treating sick children had been envisaged. The Board of Poor Law Guardians purchased Alder Hey, a mansion set in 25 acres of land in West Derby, Liverpool. At the time the provisions for treating the sick and insane were very limited for paupers who could not afford to attend a private hospital. Adler Hey was to become a workhouse for the city’s poor.
The hospital was completed in 1914, shortly after the outbreak of the First World War. The hospital went straight into war effort and served as a military hospital until the war was over. The wards were then dedicated to the sick children of Liverpool and the buildings life as Children’s Hospital began.
The hospital was absorbed into the newly formed NHS in 1948. This brought about many changes and improvements including the establishment of the country’s first dedicated neonatal unit.
Over the years the hospital established itself as a world-leading Children’s hospital. The hospital pioneered treatments for infants and children, including neonatal surgery, neurology and cardiology.
The hospital found itself caught up in a scandal that took place between 1988-95 when human tissue, including children’s organs, were unknowingly taken and stored at Alder Hey. Over 2,000 jars containing body parts and tissue were stored, from around 850 infants. The Human Tissue Act 2004 was passed by Parliament as a result, and the Human Tissue Authority was established.
In 2013 work began on a new building in Springfield Park next to the old hospital buildings. The new hospital opened in October 2015 and all patients, staff and equipment were transferred across. The old buildings will be demolished to make way for a new parkland area.
Corridors and murals
Other areas of the hospital
The Alder Centre