A tuberculosis sanatorium in Italy that later became a general hospital with a huge chapel and traditional Italian architecture.
In 1911 the construction of the sanatorium was proposed, as a forerunner in Italy’s anti-tubercular struggle. The sanatorium opened in 1924 and completely fulfilled the hospitalisation requirements of TB patients. Further pavilions were built, the first in 1929 which had accommodation for 800 women, and another in 1930 which could accommodate 1000 children.
The sanatorium was situated in an area covered by magnificent pine forest. It was built far from large conurbations of the population, away from busy roads and establishments that could alter the purity of the air, while the forest protected it from the winds. The climate was consistently cooler than in the city, better ventilated in summer and less foggy in autumn.
Following the contraction of the sanatoria sector, due to the advent of the antibiotic era, the availability of hospital beds progressively increased to around half of the accommodation capacity. From 1955 the establishment became a mixed use sanatorium and hospital until the 1970s, and as a general hospital thereafter. The hospital closed in 2015 when a neighbouring purpose built hospital opened to replace the ageing buildings of the old sanatorium.