St Joseph's was a convent in York formed by the Order of the Poor Clares. The nuns moved to smaller premises then the number of residents dwindled.
St Joseph’s Convent in York was founded in 1864 by a group of sisters who came to York from a convent in Bruges. The Nuns were from the Order of the Poor Clares, who aim to be as self sufficient as possible.
The buildings were designed by a local Roman Catholic ecclesiastical architect, George Goldie, and were built between 1870 and 1875. At its peak during the 1940s, the convent was home to more than 40 nuns, but numbers slowly declined over the years.
The convent is set in 6.3 acres of land and is surrounded by a 15ft wall. Buildings on the estate include The Lodge which is the former Priest’s House as well as The Extern and The Quadrangle, which includes Sisters’ House, The Chapel and Cloister buildings.