Terre Rouge was a large steel works in Luxembourg. The iron-ore silos remain with a nice reflection in the water below, and the sites power plant, Central Thermique remains.
History of Terre Rouge and Central Thermique
Terre Rouge was a huge iron works in Luxembourg. The factory opened in 1872, as one of may in the area, and was upgraded to produce steel in the 1880s.
The steel industry in the area flourished and Luxembourg became one of Europe’s largest manufactures of steel. In the 1950s it was discovered that the gasses released during the melting of iron during steel production could be used to produce electricity. The Central Thermique power station was built in 1951 specifically to utilise this ground-breaking technique.
During the 1990s Luxembourg saw a decline in the steel industry and the blast furnaces throughout the region began to close. Central Thermique ultimately also closed down, one day after the last blast furnace ceased production in 1997.
Nowadays all that remains of Terre Rouge is the power plant and and the iron-ore silos, abandoned and derelict.
Terre Rouge Iron Ore Silos