Established as a tuberculosis settlement in 1918, the Royal Papworth Hospital grew to be a world-leading heart and lung hospital, and moved to new premises in 2019
A Tuberculosis sanatorium was established at Papworth by Dr Pendrill Varrier-Jones, the TB Officer for Cambridgeshire, following a donation of £5,000 from a wealthy philanthropist which enabled him to purchase the Papworth Hall Estate. Papworth Hall itself was used initially for the treatment of TB, receiving its first patients on 12 February 1918, along with 4 staff members.
The hospital expanded steadily with the addition of wooden open-air shelters, and in 1929 was renamed the Papworth Village Settlement. New hospital buildings were constructed around the hall from 1930, and after being absorbed into the National Health Service in 1948, the sanatorium was renamed Papworth Hospital.
Surgery gradually took over as a treatment for TB and over time the hospital moved towards other types of heart and lung treatment such as transplants, the treatment of pulmonary hypertension, cystic fibrosis and sleep disorders. The world’s first successful heart transplant took place at Papworth in 1979.
In April 2019 all the services provided at the hospital were transferred to a new, purpose built facility at the nearby Cambridge Biomedical Campus.
Bernhard Baron Building
The accommodation in the Bernhard Baron Building was originally designed around a veranda arrangement providing easy access to open air for treatment of TB, as can be seen in the archive image below
Christopher Parish Building
Radiology & Nuclear Medicine
Wards and other areas
Mortuary and Pathology
Papworth Hall was purchased following a donation of £5,000 from a wealthy philanthropist and was the first building to be used as a sanatorium at Papworth.